Alaska Walkabouts

The adventures of an Alaska Wildlife and Nature Photographer.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Exxon Valdez Oil Spill


 1989 was the year of the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill. What do I say about such a thing? I have decided to say very little.  It was a complete life-changing event for many of us up here. But after almost 24 years of dealing with it all I just don't have the energy for it anymore. The years and years of cleanup, the lawsuits, etc..it was a complete circus. I can only say that we tried to continue our fishing but the spill shut it all down that summer. I still managed to do a lot of boating and in the course of dealing with the oil spill I began to learn the places that I still use to this day such as Gore Point and Prince William Sound. I also met some good people. In a final twist of irony, today as I checked the mail I got a notice that I am to get a tiny bit more money out out the lawsuit we filed 20 years ago! I will touch a bit more on the spill in other posts as it became an inescapable part of my life for many more years. My one wish is that I had been a better photographer back then. 


Oiled marine debris near the Chiswell Islands near Seward Alaska

Dead oiled bird

Codi and a black beach at Fox Farm Anchorage in Prince William Sound

Exxon cleanup crew in Tonsina Bay

Tonsina Bay

Oiled shoreline in Port Dick
Digging down to the oil within the beach at Gore Point for a film crew.

An oiled mass of plastic pom-poms on Knight Island. in Prince William Sound. Lots of plastics were added to the mess in an attempt to clean the stuff up. And due to negligence much of it got away. It became a second spill and we picked up stuff like this during future beach cleanups.

Reactions:

0 comments :