Alaska Walkabouts

The adventures of an Alaska Wildlife and Nature Photographer.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Let's Go Boating

In the spring of 1988 I launched my new boat and opened the door to a huge new world of adventure. It was the key to my future. I named it the "Cape Chacon" which is the southern tip of Prince of Wales Island in Southeast Alaska. We began doing some serious fishing out of Seward, Alaska. We did some commercial halibut openings and also rockfish. That previous winter, December of 1987, I also got something else that was to change my life forever; my first pit bull Codi. She was a beautiful brindle and an absolute joy. She took to the boat immediately and ended up being with me for the next 14 years. What a life she had!

The maiden voyage of the Cape Chacon on a brilliant spring day. May 1988 at Verdant Cove out of Seward.

Drifting around in a flat calm ocean. 

A rare shot of the boat underway.

Me and my Codi girl with a pile of Lingcod and rockfish

A friend and I haul in a rockfish on our longline gear during a halibut opening.

A lingcod comes aboard

A nice halibut

My friend Rex and Codi in the fog

Rex and Codi take a break near the Chiswell Islands

The aftermath of a halibut opening

Reactions:

0 comments :