Alaska Walkabouts

The adventures of an Alaska Wildlife and Nature Photographer.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Comets and Kings


Comet Hale Bopp blazes in the sky across the bay from Whittier. I shot this out my condo window.


The summer of 1997 was remarkable in two ways; we got visited by a comet during late winter and a lot of King Salmon showed up in our area. Other than that I did a lot of chartering and more personal trips including chasing the comet and aurora in late winter and then chasing deer in late fall.





One of the highlights of my life was this night out at Lighthouse Point in Prince William Sound. We established a camp on that big island across the way and one clear cold night my friend Dave and I took the boat over here to see what we could get. The aurora came and it was spectacular. How often does one get a comet in the aurora? Maybe again this November if Comet ISON shows up.





The beautiful and delicious King (Chinook) Salmon. For some reason there were a lot of them around that summer. We call these "Feeder Kings" as they are not spawning here but rather roaming the oceans and feeding until they mature. A bit like me I guess!





A friend with some feeder kings that we caught right in front of my condo.




Me with another big  Shortraker Rockfish


A cool black bear. We were sitting in the boat in this stream full of spawning salmon and all of a sudden this bear came right over the embankment and almost to the boat. I turned Codi around and pushed her into the cabin before she had a chance to see it.


Codi during the fall deer hunt. At 10 she was starting to turn a bit white in the face.



Codi with a deer high up on Knight Island. She loved her deer hunts and I loved having her along.


Reactions:

0 comments :