Alaska Walkabouts

The adventures of an Alaska Wildlife and Nature Photographer.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Fractals of Life



For the moment I have abandoned the camera and taken up the study of fractals and digital art. I wanted to create some unique and colorful products for my Zazzle.com store and the idea just sort of popped into my head a few days ago. Next thing I knew I was Googling around for fractal software. I played with a couple freeware versions but quickly settled on Ultra Fractal 5  http://www.ultrafractal.com/index.html The software is amazing! Check out this link to lots of awesome fractal images on Flickr.com: http://www.flickr.com/groups/ultra_fractalists_gallery/ It's going to be a long time until I know how some of those people made their images but I am determined to learn.

The Space Between Us
The thing I love is that the possibilities are endless. Literally. The tough part about making them is, aside from learning all the layer modes, masking, and gradients the software provides, that I quickly forget how I made the image in the first place. There are some very rare forms like the Dessert Rose. And until I learn a lot more, when I do find something good I hardly know what to do with it. It could be that in my explorations, I have already missed some great opportunities. But thanks to some great tutorials on Youtube and elsewhere, I am slowly coming to grips with the software. Now to come to grips with my imagination.

Carnival




Reactions:

0 comments :