Alaska Walkabouts

The adventures of an Alaska Wildlife and Nature Photographer.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Round 2




On March 17, after getting over my sickness, I headed out of Whittier for my second attempt. It was snowing when I left Whittier but I wanted to be in place when the skies were supposed to clear off that night. The weather forecast for the near future were stunning. I had to navigate all the way to my destination with the radar and at 5:30pm I arrived at Deer Cove and threw down the anchor. I got settled in and the weather started to clear. I had dinner of two cheeseburgers and then I fired up the diesel heater to settle in and celebrate the evening. The diesel heater started to smoke run like crap then it shut itself off. I looked at Bryn and said "That's it I can't take this anymore" and within 5 minutes we were on our way back to Whittier at a high rate of speed and I was cursing all the way. So 9 hours after leaving my home in Anchorage, I was back. The next day I took the boat to the Espar Diesel Heater expert, Travis at Advance Diesel, and we found the problem. A tiny little filter within the fuel pump had clogged up with something that looked like dirt. A $3 filter had destroyed my second attempt and cost me hundreds of dollars in travel costs. Now I have a new one in the fuel pump and two spares in the boat. Live and learn I guess...I never even knew there was a filter in there! The following day I attempted round 3. I will get into that in the next post.


Reactions:

0 comments :