Alaska Walkabouts

The adventures of an Alaska Wildlife and Nature Photographer.

Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Great Pollen Event of 2014




My charter season is just beginning and I only spent about a week in Whittier before coming home to dodge the first wet and windy weather that we have had in a very long time. May was hot and dry and we paid for it with forest fires and lots of pollen for allergy sufferers. Lucky I am not one of them! The pollen poured out of the alder and spruce trees in great volumes. With no rain to hold it down it formed islands of yellow and filled the tide rips of Prince William Sound. When the east winds arrived it drove a lot of pollen to the head of Passage Canal where I often anchor for the night. When I saw it I knew it was a great reason to get the camera out. Over the course of two days I did all I could to photograph it then the weather worsened and I have not been back for almost a week now. Although I have seen lots of pollen in the water in years past, I don't recall anything like this.


















Reactions:

0 comments :