Alaska Walkabouts

The adventures of an Alaska Wildlife and Nature Photographer.

Friday, December 5, 2014

Paying the Bills



We all have to do things we don't want to do to pay our bills. I had to lease a halibut permit for much of the summer because my glacier tour business was dead. I fought hard to never do another fishing charter but I lost that fight and between late June and late July I took 107 people fishing. It paid the bills at least temporarily. I met some good people and as to be expected I met some miserable ones as well.  At the end of July I gave back the permit and business went quiet. The first half of August brought terrible weather that would have shut me down anyway.

In late June one of my boat engines developed a slight rattle that slowly grew to a loud rattle. In spite of it the engine ran great and got me through the season. It wasn't until yesterday, December 4, that I learned the engine is totalled and could  have blown at any moment. A minor miracle that it never did but now some of the mysterious issues I had with it last March make sense. So it will be rebuilt and I will be deeper in debt.

During the second half of September and into early October I drove Matt's new boat the "Meagan Ann" and did fishing charters. It was nice to drive a comfortable boat and I learned a whole new way to fish which involved anchoring in deep humps, 900 foot or so, throwing baited hooks down there, and waiting for the fish to come. And come they did. We did very well and I hoped to keep fishing deep into October but business went dead like the flick of a switch.

My photography took a back seat to the charter work but I did manage to get a few good shots. Anyway, here are some pics from the summer season:

Shortraker Rockfish


A dedicated fisherman mends his net during a storm.

A Sleeper Shark

Shortraker Rockfish

Halibut

Shortraker Rockfish

Happy Fisherpersons

Sleeper Shark

Harbor Seals

A Nice Day  For Shore Leave

Halibut

Glacier Touring


The Warburtons. The good part of chartering.

A Steller Sea Lion with a salmon head

Yelloweye Rockfish

Yelloweye Rockfish

Add caption

Me during a hike in the rainforest

Auroral Glow

Halibut

Shortraker Rockfish

Black Cod

Fish On!

Squid

Halibut

The boat I did some charters with this fall

An Orca





Reactions:

0 comments :