Alaska Walkabouts

The adventures of an Alaska Wildlife and Nature Photographer.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Eternal Struggle



Along with the strong run of silvers last summer, the pink salmon (oncorhynchus gorbuscha) were at record levels in Prince William Sound. By late July the pinks were packed into the streams of their birth to spawn and then die. I spent some time at a small stream in Logging Camp Bay and tried my best to photograph the incredible struggle they go through to fulfill their final act. As I went through the pics to choose for this post I came to the conclusion that I mostly failed. I have some good video but still photos just don't get the grand scale of it all. Looks like I need to try again next year. But I came away with a deep respect, and some empathy, for the terrific struggle the salmon go through to carry on their species.

A pair of pink salmon splash through the shallows on their way upstream.

A female pink salmon pauses in the shallows to catch her breath.

Salmon chaos at a small waterfall. 

A male pink salmon, also called a humpie, attempts a small waterfall at Logging Camp Bay. 



Reactions:

0 comments :