Alaska Walkabouts

The adventures of an Alaska Wildlife and Nature Photographer.

Monday, December 21, 2015

The Silver Lining



The big news about the fishing scene this past summer was the return of a very strong silver salmon run. It's been years since we had seen anything like it and it was way past due. Like many things this past summer, they were a month early due to the fact that we didn't really have a winter. And I didn't complain. The business I got taking people out to fish for them made up for the lack of having a halibut permit. Also, salmon are user friendly, fun to catch, beautiful, and very tasty. For the first time in many years I now have a bunch of salmon in the freezer for winter. Alas, things always even out and this fall the halibut were hard to find so I don't have much of that in the freezer. There is always something! Maybe next year I will have it both ways.




A beautiful King Salmon that was mixed in with the silvers



Me with a very nice silver and I am enjoying every bite!



Reactions:

0 comments :